THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, March 22, 2010

Team coming home tomorrow! Last updates!

From the BLOG, Stew & Darryl Go to Haiti
http://www.stewanddarrylgotohaiti.blogspot.com
Join our FaceBook Fan Page at http://www.facebook.com/ucthealinghands

3/21 FROM KATHI: I was at the Medi Share Hospital during the rain. It rained all night. There is a little room with a tarp on top and tarps on the sides. This is the ER. The bottom was completely covered with water. It was a few inches deep and they brought in raised pallets to walk on. A minute in the rain meant you looked like you had taken a shower in the rain. We were running from one tent to the next or should I say med/surg to peds. They brought out raised peds and made pathways for us so we weren't wading in the mud and water.

The first night I worked there I gave someone a blanket. It was such a simple act. The next time I was there he came to me and said he didn't know I was coming and wished he had bought me a gift. Instead, he gave me two mangoes, his food that he had brought for him and his sister he was taking care of. Humbling doesn't even tough how it makes me feel.

3/22 FROM KATIE: I can tell we go home tomorrow because several of us have colds, sore throats, tummy rumblings and we are starting to "drag" a bit although everyone seems gung ho about their assignments for today. There are teams going to CDTI, Wings of Hope orphanage, and working in the tent clinic. It was a little sad to sa goodbye to the Miami yesterday as it was a great shift working as a pharmacist and helping out. I took phone photos of some young volunteers and emailed them to their families including one Air Force PVT who comes to rock babies in the NICU.

I went with Amanda this morning to the airport to see her off. It was hard to say good bye to her as the next time I see her she will be happily married and embarked on her next great adventure. It was wonderful to have her with this team. This is the 4th team I have led and there are only a few that have been on all of them and she has been one of the stalwarts. I am so thankful that Garlan "gets it" and was supportive of her serving this close to the wedding.

The airport was a madhouse -- true Haitian chaos and we waited 40 minutes to get close to security and then I left her on her own to get into the building and check in. We got there about 7:05 for her 9:20 flight and I will bet it took the full time to process out.

We have the tent clinic seeing patients and doing therapy, there are 4 team members at CDTI and another group at Wings of Hope orphanage. Two of the SWers are doing therapy with patients referred by the treating RNs and MD. Rachel and Kathleen (RNs) are doing an awesome job of seeing and treating patients along with Rick.
Every member of this years team has worked hard and been faced with the frustration of physical limitations due to the heat and associated illnesses. We have all learned many lessons about what humanitarian service is, what it can do and what it cannot do. We will have many insights to share when we get to that point in our own emotional abilities. Our social work team has done an amazing job teaching us, debriefing with us and being there for us throughout this experience and I am so grateful that they have been willing to share their talents and skills.

3/21 FROM JOYCE: Today we were able to go to church. I didn't understand a word but it was still wonderful to be there and I think that hymns are beautiful in french...We got the pharmacy in order and made a list of things needed here, we made an exchange with CDTI hospital of meds we had a surplus of for meds they needed. It is important to help each other, we are all here for the same reason. I think today might be the hottest since I got here, I am grateful that I am not in a tent and sad that so many people here are......

0 comments: